Impact Journey with Julia S
Creating spaces for untapped opportunity - Regina Gwynn, Black Women Talk Tech
With Regina Gwynn, we explore a key need for our economy to recover, and what it takes to support big untapped opportunity: creating spaces. Physical spaces, virtual spaces, safe spaces, honest spaces.
THE IMPACT. Regina:
- Is co-founder of Black Women Talk Tech, a collective of black women tech founders focused on building billion dollar startups, which has now hosted four Roadmap to Billions conferences to give voice and provide strategy and opportunities.
- Is CEO and founder of TresseNoire, the first beauty booking platform designed for time-starved multicultural professionals, also called the “Uber of black natural hair”
- Spent about a decade in retail merchandising and marketing at Macy’s and The Apparel Group, and was a consultant at Monitor
- Has an MBA in marketing and entrepreneurship from Kellogg School of Management
THE JOURNEY. In our conversation, we explore:
- Early influences: entrepreneurship, fashion & beauty, and Jem & the Holograms
- Making the leap to start a business: making money for others vs. yourself
- Seizing a systemic opportunity in the market: creating a community, network, and safe space
- The opportunity in investing in black women entrepreneurs: a big market, solving deep-rooted problems, better innovation
- The strengths of a community during this crisis: resources and funding, plus support and self-care