Impact Journey with Julia S
The power of arts and sports in difficult times - Kely Nascimento DeLuca, Nascimento Foundation
In difficult times, we turn to outlets where words aren’t yet available. Artist and activist Kely Nascimento DeLuca shows how sports and arts can help us process emotions and have difficult conversations.
THE IMPACT. Kely:
- Was born in Brazil and raised in NYC, as the oldest daughter of soccer legend Pelé
- Attended the Parsons School of Design and has worked as an editorial, portrait and social commentary photographer, creative director and producer of multi-media and art projects
- Is President and Founder of the Nascimento Foundation, the family foundation with the mission to harness the potential of sports and the arts to build and promote sustainable peace
- Is director of Warriors of a Beautiful Game, a documentary film and collaborative project in support of the global movement of women in football
- Is a proud Ambassador for the Global Goals World Cup, the women’s activist tournament turning the 17 UN SDGs into a sport
THE JOURNEY. In our conversation, we explore:
- Growing up seeing the impact of both sports and arts as an emotional connector to people’s lives
- One story of one girl trying to play soccer that led to the making of a documentary film
- Shifting public opinion through bottom-up and top-down influence toward transparency
- Advocating for equal treatment to grow an entire sport globally
A big thanks to Kely. You can follow her work in the links and on Twitter @CasaKely.